Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Using Background Stamps

For the St. Augustine meeting, Jan and I had volunteered to bring treats. We decided to make something that is easy to make, not messy, and could be individually packaged.  Jan stamped the sentiment using a new SU stamp, The doily is from MFT that she picked up this weekend. The butterfly is a new SU punch that is covered in broken china stickles. Inside is a trail mix: chocolate teddy grahams, cinnamon toast crunch, pretzels and delicious raspberry M&Ms.

At the meeting, I shared several ways to use large background stamps. First I demonstrated the mega mount. You can watch a demo here. You can also mask off portions of the card (I like to use eclipse tape). Here is a card made using this technique





Backgound stamps can be stamped over embossed images to add texture to a background. I created this tag using distress inks, blended walnut ink around the edge and them overstamped in frayed burlap. The larger background is stamped on designer paper.  I like to use text or script: this stamp is a hero arts background with text and music. Texture is added to the inside of the card (again on DP) using a "ghosting" technique. For this technique remove the rubber from the mount and just bend and touch to paper for partial stamped images.


Background stamps can be used to create your own designer paper and then punched, trimmed or die cut just as you would any DP. 


One of my favorite flower dies from MFT.
I love this new greeting die - another new purchase from our road trip.

The last technique is one I call a "stacked deck." Cut and layer cardstock using temporary adhesive. Stamp the layers and then mat them with cs that is 1/4 larger. (using a mat will cover the part of the paper that doesn't stamp along the edge).
Our challenge for next month is to use background stamps and to create a Christmas card.

1 comment:

  1. Boy am I sorry I missed the meeting!! Oh well, I'll be back in the Sunshine State soon.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete