Letter Love

I had a good time making a cover for my book. The paper is a recent purchase that I found on my last road trip to Jacksonville with Anita. The pad was 6x6 and meant that I need a wide spine. I didn't have tape that I liked so the spine is sticky-back canvas that I dyed with distress stains and perfect pearl misters of course! The cherub and hear (Holtz die cuts) are also canvas. The border punch has ribbon woven through it. The edges are all inked with Distress Ink.

I have really enjoyed practicing my alphabets - I need to learn to relax and loosen my grip on my pen. I couldn't believe how many black pens I have collected over the years. It's been fun pulling them out and playing with old friends as well as adding in some new. It was such a good idea to use all of them in one place so I can compare them and have a reference for later use. Of course I had to add some bling to my page.  I am pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the copics write - I haven't been a copic fan up to this point. I am a bit frustrated with my writing when using the brush ends of my markers. Guess I need to practice, practice and practice some more.

I really enjoyed playing with the different alphabet looks.

The following design came from one of my classmates that she shared on Flickr. I couldn't find again so I can't give her credit for this design. (No, I haven't moved out of my play journal yet to make a "nice"copy).

I also found inspriration for letter syles from the fonts on my computer. This one uses the small flat chisel on the copic.

So far, I have enjoyed this technique of Joanne's method of creating my own letters. I plan to spend some more time working with this technique.
I don't consider myself an artist; and love how this journal gives me permission to just play. The following page inlcudes sketches done to practice flower images to add to grid lines.
These ATC size letter pieces made the perfect packaging for my flower charm swap this month. The charms are lucite flower beads attached to a base of hexagon beads brickstitch in a diamond shape.  The color on the cards was done by watercoloring with Distress Inks and water. The sparkle comes from perfect peal mist.
Next, I need to finish my early lessons. I am tempted to jump ahead to Lesson 20 - I love to make backgrounds.